After the establishment of Wellington Co-operative Winery Ltd. in 1906, the declaration of Bovlei Co-operative Winery Ltd. in 1907 and the founding of Wamakersvallei Winery in 1941, the accomplishments and passion with which these three wineries nourished the growth of the Wellington Wine industry, ultimately became the pillars on which Wellington Wines can now base our excellence.
The members of Wellington Co-operative Winery Ltd. and Wamakersvallei Winery officially voted for an amalgamation of these two cellars at a meeting held on the 21st of December 2010. This decision marked the merger of two neighbours, both giants in the Wellington wine industry. The economic advantages and the vision of vitality and possibilities urged the role-players to come to this wise agreement.
The two “W’s” (Wellington and Wamakers) became one – this was the first step towards the birth of Wellington Wines.
On the 17th of January 2013, Bovlei Co-operative Winery Ltd. also became a part of Wellington Wines, and this second amalgamation ensured the continuation of a winemaking tradition that started in 1906.
The original reasons for the establishment of the Co-operative cellars in Wellington during the early 1900s were to promote the interests of the wine farmers and the progress of the local community. Wellington Wines still pay tribute to these principles and continue to build on the credo of our founders.
The principles for the existence of this new company are exactly the same as they were in 1906: in order to be a shareholder, you have to be a bona fide wine farmer.
Today, our 60 members, who are all farmers from Wellington and neighbouring areas of the Swartland and Paarl, work closely with our winemakers and viticulturists to ensure that only the best grapes are grown and selected for their outstanding quality.